Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ever wanted to live on the moon?

Apparently some people find the idea of setting up a permanent colony on the moon an interesting and, now, feasible idea. I, personally, am not sure I would ever want to live on the moon. It would be cool to be able to visit and walk around, but I never found the idea of outer space particularly intriguing. Some, however, now believe that it would be possible to live in or station a base in a lunar lava hole.

According to an article I read on CNN, scientists recently discovered a large hole on the moon that might be suitable for a moon colony or lunar base. The hole is situated on the near side of the moon and is about 213 feet wide and more than 260 feet deep. This hole, however, is not just any lunar lava hole; it's unique in that it is protected from the moon's harsh temperatures and meteorite strikes by a thin layer of lava. Also, it does not appear prone to collapse. It has been reported that NASA is working on plans to return to the moon by 2020 and to set up a temporary lunar colony by 2025.

I, however, do not see why we would be so inclined to colonize the moon because of the living conditions. Although, this hole could reportedly protect one from such conditions, it would mean being confined there constantly. Why do you think people are interested in colonizing the moon? Would you want to live there if you could?

1 comment:

  1. Living on the moon would probably be a dream come true for alot of people. Personally, I'm with you, living on the moon doesn't appeal to me. I think the lunar colony mentioned in the article isn't meant to be a community for the public, rather a research base for NASA scientists. This relates to Kevin's last post well. I don't think this sounds like an excellent use of tax dollars but doing research from our moon might be very beneficial. If this hole is an ideal location maybe it would be smart to construct a colony there.

    ReplyDelete