Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is it the holiday season?

Answer: Variable

For many in our community it is most certainly the holiday season; either Hanukah has just ended or Christmas is fast approaching. But for some, this is not a holiday season at all. I was reading an article about how people have come to face the 'December Dilemma' due to the fact that they don't celebrate a holiday during this "holiday" season. For example, Glen Fullmer's 7-year-old son came home with an assignment to make a poster about his family's holiday traditions. There was, however, one problem: the family is Baha'i and do not celebrate a holiday during this time of year. Therefore, he made his poster on the Baha'is gift-giving season in February. I appeared that many people chose to embrace the spirit of season, but not to celebrate the holiday. Hannah Vahaba said, "It's a beautiful season. It brings out a joy but I'm not going to celebrate it." referring to Christmas. This seemed to be the view of many. However, it seems difficult to deal with the holiday/Christmas season for many who do not celebrate any holiday or perhaps not the holiday people would expect.  The other day, for example, I was in the grocery store and the lady at the register wished me a Merry Christmas on the way out. While I do celebrate Christmas I was thinking to myself, 'What if I didn't celebrate Christmas? What do I say then?' I can see how that could be a touchy situation for many people.

So why do people assume? Is it just something that has become so ingrained in society that they don't even stop to think? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Alot of people do make assumptions during ht holiday season, (i.e. everyone walking by celebrates Christmas) but honestly, I think they are harmless. Fullmer's teacher may have assigned the poster project expecting all of her students to describe their Christmas traditions, but when Glen explained he was Baha'i his classmates were intrigued and embraced his religion. I can see how an onslaught of "Merry Christmas!"'s would get tiresome to someone who doesn't celebrate the holiday, but no one is going to fight somebody for wishing them happiness. In my opinion, everyone should just use this time of the year to eat alot and visit family, you're going to get a day off work/school for Christmas whether you celebrate the holiday or not.

    ReplyDelete