Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Character Dimensions... human dimensions?

Today in class we discussed the difference between a 2-D character and a 3-D character, specifically using examples from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn which we are currently reading. To sum up what we came up with in class, we decided that 2-D characters are unchanging, stereotypes, shallow, and linear. While 3-D characters were well-rounded, adaptable, and often have a back-story. Obviously there are other qualities that could define these characters, but this was our outline. It got me wondering, though...

Do these "character dimensions" say anything about real people?
In many cases, I think that characters from books are based off of real people, or they are a combination of people that the author may know. Therefore, can one assume that the "dimension" of the character could be applied to the human model? I know you can call someone shallow or stubborn (unchanging), but do those characteristics automatically place them in a broader category... I've never heard of a person referred to as 2-dimensional that I can recall.

Also... Are the main characters usually the main characters?
As a class we decided, rather unanimously, that Huck and Jim were the only 3-dimensional characters in the book thus far. All the other, more minor characters, seemed to fit much better with our description of 2-D. I wonder if this is always the case or if this is often the cases in books. Perhaps it makes the books more interesting or more relatable to the reader if the primary character in a book is something other than a shallow, undeveloped personality.

I am rather undecided as to what I think on both issues, but what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think that it's fair to say that some real people are actually "2-D," whereas others are "3-D." Although I have never heard these adjectives describing an actual person, I still think that they are well-fit to do so. People who don't really develop are 2-D, whereas those who do are 3-D. And, the main characters of stories are generally 3-D, because it would be REALLY boring to read about someone who never changes.

    ReplyDelete