Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Women on submarines

Junior theme may be over, but as I was looking through the news today a story struck me because it was so related to my topic. I wrote about why minorities in the military have/still are receiving different treatment, and I focused on blacks and gays. Another focus that I considered was the role of women in the armed forces. Today I found a story about the first women to train to serve on submarines. For a long time submarine service has been off limits to women for a variety of reasons. Some might claim that there isn't enough room for male and female facilities while others will be more harsh, claiming simply that women can't cut it. It was recently announced that 11 women from the 2010 graduating class at the US Naval Academy had been accepted into the submarining program. People have called these women "trailblazers" but breaking gender barriers is far from these women's minds. "I am not doing this to be a trailblazer. I see us being just like our male counterparts, and I think we'll be accepted the same way." Claimed Marquette Reid. These women are tired of hearing excuses, and they simply want to be able to serve in the same ways that men have for quite some time. It doesn't seem like too much to ask. I am encouraged by the progress that these women are inspiring and hope that one day the military will be free of discrimination against minorities.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great point, Q, and I totally agree with you. I think its great that woman are begining to be accepted in all branches of the military, but also feel that women in the military will only truly be accepted when it isnt a huge deal for them to be in the military. I believe Tony Dungee was asked the question, "How does it feel to be the first African American coach to win the Super Bowl?" And his reply was something like, "It'll feel good when it isn't a big deal for a black man to win a super bowl." I think this quote sums up the issue of inequality in many aspects of American life.

    ReplyDelete