Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When can free speech be limited?


I recently read a story on CNN that shocked me, and this picture was just the beginning. I will be perfectly honest and say that I do not particularly support the wars that we are fighting at the moment, but never in a million years would I imagine diminishing the brave acts that our troops are performing every day. I could never do what they do and I am thankful that there are people out there who are wiling to put their lives on the line for what they believe in.
This story addresses a small Kansas church that gained national attention when they protested at the funerals of US service members. They did this because they said they felt "That God's promise of love and heaven for those who obey him in this life is counterbalanced by God's wrath and hell for those who do not obey him." They felt it was especially wrong for homosexuals to be fighting in wars and the shirt that the women is wearing just goes to show how strongly they believe these things.
The high court recently accepted an appeal from the father of a US Marine killed in Iraq to keep the members of the church from demonstrating near memorial and burial services. This, of course, would be putting a limitation on their freedom of speech...

Is it ok to limit these people's freedom of speech? Think carefully because I feel like a lot of people's gut reaction will be to say yes it is ok solely because they do not agree with the particular views of this group of people.

1 comment:

  1. This picture makes me mad - I think it is very wrong for those people to take for granted and depreciate our soldiers, and furthermore, I do not support these peoples views on homosexuality. I also think it is extremely disrespectful for this religious group to demonstrate near the memorial that is supposed to be honoring the lives of these soldiers. Soldiers or not, they are still human beings who do not deserve to be disrespected in death. However, I guess these people should have the right to express their views, even if I do not agree with them. But I would hope that a compromise could be reached in which the people could demonstrate - just not near the burial services/memorial.

    ReplyDelete