Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Monday, March 8, 2010

The power of the crowd mentality


Driving home from soccer tonight, something crossed my mind that I had never really stopped to think about before. How does EVERYONE know that green means go and red means stop? Obviously, in the case of driving, we learn when we take driver's ed, but what about in other scenarios? I think it is fair to say that when most people see the color green they think go, even when it's not in the context of driving. How did this happen? How did something become so commonly accepted by society worldwide?

It seems so simple when you don't stop to think, but when you do, you have to wonder how we almost manage to think as a society. To me, the power of society and collaboration is amazing. I also wonder how long it takes for something like this to become ingrained in the minds of not only an entire nation, but practically the entire world. I'm sure there are many more examples of things that we don't even stop to think about anymore because, since we were young kids, we learned from the people around us that these things were true.

What do you think? Can you think of some other things that we just accept? How did it come to be and how long do you think it took to catch on?

No comments:

Post a Comment