Favorite Blog Post

My favorite blog post from this quarter was the one about the episode of 30 Days that we watched in class. I thought it was an interesting post because it related to what we were talking about in class, addressed our society as a whole, and it touched on the first blog post I did this year. I think my blogging has improved over the year. Unfortunately, I was not as consistent this quarter perhaps due to junior theme and the fact that we were in the middle of a very busy soccer season. Overall, blogging has been a good experience and I really enjoyed this type of informal writing.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

"Fauxmance"... really?

I was caught slightly off-guard today when, on the home page of CNN, there was an article about Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. Maybe it's because I went to see the midnight premier of "New Moon" last night or maybe it caught my attention because it wasn't exactly the type of thing I expect to see on CNN's home page. Either way, I was intrigued and decided to see exactly what the article was about.

"Are they or aren't they a couple? That's the multimillion dollar question fueling the "Twilight" franchise." By 'they' the article refers to Robert and Kristen. "Really?" I thought to myself as I continued reading; I know for a fact that I didn't go to see the movie last night because I cared about whether they were dating in real life. I mean, sure, it might be nice to know, but I wonder... Is that all people really care about? I expect people would still have gone to see the movie even if they knew the truth about their love life.

But if all that people care about is whether Rob and Kristen are dating then what does that say about us as a nation? Why are we so concerned with what is happening in celebrity's lives?

2 comments:

  1. I think your blog post is funny and very truthful. I think that our nation is obsessed with pop culture and celebrity lives, but why, I don't know. Is it because magazines like "People" and "Us" are easy to read and slightly addicting, or is it because (like I said on Katie's blog) the US tends to stick its nose in others' business. Are we obsessed with celebrities' success, or their failure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok i definitely love reading US and People (and would like to know whether Kristen and Rob are dating), but I saw the movie because I love the twilight series. I think that people are so concerned with what is going on in celebrities lives because immersing themselves in someone else's drama is a break from the troubles they are facing in their life. It's also entertaining, as those magazines are usually quite funny. As for ellie's question, I think that magazines thrive on both failure and success stories - usually it works best if they can write an article about a stars failure and then a year or two later, write another about their redemption and success. Everyone loves a redemption story.

    ReplyDelete